Submissions for recovery anthologies
Eagle Wings Press anticipates the publication of anthologies by authors working Twelve Step programs. The recovery anthologies will be similar to Silver Boomers: a collection of prose and poetry by and about baby boomers and its progeny Freckles to Wrinkles, This Path, From the Porch Swing, and Flashlight Memories and more published by our parent publisher, Silver Boomer Books. EWP anthologies will be based on the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous and the many other programs utilizing the basic blueprint set out in the book Alcoholics Anonymous.
Our current call for submissions is set out here.
Submissions for other anthologies
Eagle Wings Press will publish books with a spiritual emphasis not necessarily based on the Twelve-Step program. No specific subject has been selected, but you may on speculation submit work for anthologies on such subjects as:
Modern Mountain Moving Moments
U-Turns to Triumph and
Angels Among Us
Book length submissions
We do accept book submissions from individuals. If you wish to propose a publishing project, please carefully describe it in an email (not over 1000 words.) We have a number of projects planned and limited time, but we will consider your requests. DO NOT SEND MANUSCRIPTS either by email or to our mailing address unless requested. Unsolicited manuscripts will be ignored and destroyed. Email your proposal to: SilverBoomerBooks@gmail.com.
Our writers’ guidelines for anthologies
How We Want It:
Electronic submission is VERY STRONGLY preferred, with the manuscript or poem pasted into the body of the email. We prefer poetry of less than 50 lines, and prose not exceeding 1500 words. Poetry shorter than 12 lines tickles the editor in charge of formatting and stands a good chance of being used if the quality is there.
We ask for one-time rights. If the submission has been previously published, cite each prior publication. If prior publication history is not stated (including “This piece has not been published”) the piece will not be considered.
Please do not submit material you sent previously for a Silver Boomer Books or Eagle Wings Press book as we have that material and will contact authors if we feel the work would fit in future anthologies.
Silver Boomer Books reserves the right to edit text for grammar, spelling, punctuation and minor syntax errors — that’s what editors do. We consult with the author before making major changes.
- Email us at SilverBoomerBooks@gmail.com.
- In the subject line type “Eagle Wings Submission — Prose: Name of Entry” Substitute your title for “name of entry” and for poetry substitute “poetry” for “prose.”
- In the body of the email type this information:
- Your name
- Your pen name if you desire to use a different name
- Your mailing address
- Your email address
- Your telephone number
- Previous publication history of your submission
- Word count for prose, line count for poetry. In counting lines for poetry, start with the first line and count each line to the last including blank lines.
- A 50 to 100 word biographical sketch of yourself written in 3rd person. This is NOT REQUIRED for recovery anthologies.
- For the principles and promises anthology, name the principle or promise closest to your submission.
- Cut and paste your entry into the body of the email.
- Multiple submissions are welcome but must be in separate emails, each complying with these instructions fully. Do not send more than five submissions, please.
- In submitting your entry, you represent:
- The work you are submitting is your work.
- You have the rights to the work and have not previously conveyed exclusive rights to any other publisher.
- You agree to the terms and conditions set out on this page.
Postal Mail Submissions:
Please consider using electronic submissions instead! If you need to use postal mail submissions, use good standard formatting rules and send the same materials required for electronic submission.
You may include a self-addressed stamped postcard for notice of whether or not your manuscript has been accepted. If you prefer to be notified by email a postcard need not be sent. If you include a second self-addressed stamped postcard, we will use that to inform you we have received the manuscript. This is optional. Manuscripts will not be returned to the author, and will be shredded after publication of the book.
Mail to: Silver Boomer Books, 3301 S 14th Suite 16 – PMB 134, Abilene TX 79605. Do not decorate your manuscript or envelopes with happy faces, lip prints, perfume, cookies or other gimmicks.
When We Want It:
For specific collections, the notice states the closing date, and admissions are accepted from the time the call for submissions is publicized. Postmark or email deadline is the same.
What You Get:
Payment is $5 for poetry and $10 for prose plus a contributor’s copy. If you label it prose but we think it’s poetry, we’ll pay the poetry rate. In addition, contributors will be allowed to purchase copies of the work at an author’s price for two years following the initial release. All payments are upon publication. Your name and story/poem title will be listed on the website for two years. You will be allowed to post to the authors’ blog on the Silver Boomers website so you can publicize signings and speaking engagements as well as comment on the experience. For recovery anthologies, our rules for payment are the same, for we believe the writer is worth his hire. If you choose not to accept payment, you may say so and we will pay the fee that would otherwise go to you to a recovery group of your choice.
We pay for greeting card art used on a royalty basis. We do not pay for submissions of verse or text, but if you wish to have a greeting card created with a specific text or concept, we welcome your suggestions and requests. Click this email link or send your email to SilverBoomerBooks@gmail.com with the subject “Card Submission.”